Tuesday, November 16, 2010

     Last night I went into work at the Alexander Family YMCA and I heard some news that was saddening..one of our regular members had passed away a few days earlier.  This was a man that I'd had the opportunity to see most days that I worked, and he always greeted me with a smile.  He was an elderly man, in his eighties, and he always seemed to be struggling just to make it there.  When I heard about his death, it really saddened me and  made me think.  I never really knew this man, "Mac" as he was called, but I had the chance to greet him on many occasions.  The question that I keep wrestling with now is, where is he?  I don't know where exactly he stood with the Lord, and I never had an opportunity to ask. 
     Hearing about his death made me realize how important it is to be a light to the world, not only with our actions but with our words as well.  People need to hear how amazing Jesus is and what He has done for them.  They need to HEAR the good news so they know why we are the way we are!  It's great to serve others with our actions, to bless them and love on them, but that simply isn't enough.  They won't hear about the good news simply through what we do.  Our actions simply back up what we believe on the inside (at least we hope they do!) People won't "magically" figure out the gospel simply from actions alone, however.  They won't understand the truth about Jesus just because we opened the door for them or smiled.  They need to be told by our actions as well as our words! 
     1 Peter 3:15-16 says: "15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
     We always need to have an answer...we need to be prepared at all times, because you never know when you'll be called on by God to tell someone about Jesus...the more you're ready, the more you'll be called! Lord, send me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment