Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Power of Encouragement...


Encouragement.  I love this word and the power behind it.  I love that we can encourage others and make a difference in someone’s life.  I love that a simple few words of encouragement have the power to change the course of someone’s life forever.  What a gift God has given us…why can it be so challenging to encourage?  Why do we let fear of rejection or anything else stop us from empowering others to take on the hardships they face helping them realize that they can overcome them?  Why do we sit and watch people go through a difficult time and say nothing or do nothing to build them up or encourage them that things truly will get better?
Encouragement is meant to be a daily feature of our lives.  We should find words or deeds of encouragement coming from us many times every single day.  Why?  Because every person that we encounter can use it.  Even if someone is having a good day, encouraging words make it better.  A smile makes it better.  A hug telling someone that you love them lifts spirits like you’ll never know.  Telling someone the truth about who they are…that they’re not a failure, but indeed a passionately loved child of God encourages them to continue on in life knowing that things aren’t so bad.  It’s truly amazing what simple words and actions can do. 

I know for me, encouraging others is one of my favorite things to do.  I’m not real good on the type of encouragement where you compliment someone’s shirt or hairdo.  While that is definitely a needed form, I like to go deep.  I enjoy telling others just how great they are.  I love to see someone’s reaction to it, because it’s really not too often that we’re told something like that.  We need to be reminded all the time that God made us great and that his love for us is never ending.  We need to know just how much others love us and that we are put on this earth for a reason, more that to just take up space and mess things up. 

Lately I’ve been dealing with major back issues.  It has honestly been one of the worst physical seasons of my life, and it truly came out of nowhere.  I didn’t know what to do.  I didn’t know where to turn.  I was laid out on the floor for many days because there simply wasn’t a comfortable position to be in.  Nothing alleviated the pain.  Strong painkillers helped me go to sleep, but the pain was still there.  Thankfully I’ve been on the upswing of this now for over a week, but it was miserable.  The best thing about it, however, is that it taught me that I NEED others.  I need them…not only do I want them, but I need them.  As much as I need God in my life, unfortunately He is not the one who took me to the doctor when I couldn’t barely walk to the car…a friend did.  He’s not the one who brought me dinner for 2 weeks straight because I couldn’t stand long enough to cook it…friends did that.  Yes it was all because of their love for Jesus and also for me.  While I desperately need God and His love and everything else he has to give, I also desperately need others. And, despite all of the pain I was in, it brought joy to my life and encouragement to know that someone cared enough about me to go out of their way to fix me dinner.  It blessed me more than can be put into words that friends picked me up and took me to the doctor when I couldn’t do it myself.  This was a perfect display of Galatians 6:2.  Bear one another’s burdens… It was amazing to me, and not only that, it lifted my spirits. 
We are called to encourage one another.  Scripture says:
1 Thessalonians 5:11: Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
Hebrews 3:13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
Hebrews 10:25  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Encouraging one another displays the heart of God.  Sometimes, honestly, it means you have to die to yourself to lift someone else up.  The beauty of it is, however, that as you die to yourself and do what God has called you to do, you will be encouraged even more.  I know that as I die to my desires and go out of my way for someone else it brings much joy to my life. 
The word encourage means “to bring courage.”  We are the light of the world! We are called to bring courage and light to those around us.  Can you imagine a better witness to those around us who don’t know Jesus?  If we simply were encouraging and kind to others, people would see who Jesus really is.  If we loved others like Christ loved us, we’d see a difference in the amount of friends we have…Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:6.
Grace and love for others…patience, encouragement.  God is just that for us, and he encourages us to display that fruit to everyone around us. 
Give the encouragement that you desire from others. You’ll be surprised how quickly it’s turned back on you! Don’t be afraid that someone won’t take it the right way.  If it comes from the right heart, go for it! It’s exactly what God calls us to do.  
I challenge you to make it a point to encourage someone everyday.  Don’t go to bed at night if you haven’t.  It’s not that difficult.  A simple email or phone call is all it takes.  A pat on the back or smile can brighten anyone’s day.  Do it daily, and watch the difference you make around you.  You’ll be encouraged to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment